Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The trip home

My sister and I left about 6:30 am to take me to the bus stop to go back to the burgh.  According to the website we should be there about an hour early so I could check in my bags.  We arrived about 7:00 am and the station was still closed.  Sign said it wouldn't open till 8:00 am, my bus was due to leave at 8:05 am.

A little clarification here: it wasn't an actual Greyhound station it was a thrift store with an outpost that sold tickets and the bus stopped there.  Well the gentleman that operated the place got there about 7:40 am and opened up.  There were a few other people there also.  We all checked in said our good byes to family and friends and boarded the bus.  I told my sister before I got on not to weep. (She's a weeper)  She said she would, but she probably did.

There weren't many people on the bus so unless you were traveling with someone you got to sit by yourself.  That was nice.  I had two bags that I carried on with me and two large suitcases with wheels that I checked in.  Well, come to find out Greyhound does not transfer your bags for you when you have to change buses.  To say the least it was quite interesting when I had to transfer from one bus to the next.
Not only did I have the two carry on's, I had the two wheeled suit cases to drag behind me.  My computer bag I was able to strap to the top of one of the wheeled cases and the other had a long shoulder strap that I was able to put across my shoulders.  The folks at Greyhound were not very helpful, I actually had to ask one of them to open the door for me.  I'm guessing they thought I had a 3rd arm or something.  The only city where one of the workers actually asked and assisted me was here in Pittsburgh.  WOW!  Imagine that.

Well all in all it was a pleasant trip and I meant a few interesting people and saw even more.  As we traveled on the bus eventually got full and everyone was seated next to someone.  A few of us that remained on the same bus or transferred together to another bus chatted while we waited to board the next bus.  I dozed off and on most of the way.

At one point our bus had to turn around and go back because it kept shutting down, fortunately we weren't that far from the station so it didn't put us to far behind.  Then the bus that we were transferred was like walking into a sauna.  It obviously was not used for awhile and had been sitting in the garage.  Everyone thought the air wasn't working however I could feel it slightly.  It would take awhile for a vehicle that large to cool down.  The driver pulled over and opened the emergency hatches in the roof, which cooled it down pretty quickly.  He closed them after we got to our next stop.  It amazes me how people complain and grumble.  I was quite content that it wasn't freezing in there.  I am glad I took a sweater with me because some of the buses were a bit colder than I would've liked, but then that's what sweaters and sweatshirts are for.


At one point we rain into some rain, it was coming down pretty hard and I was blessed to be sitting by a window that leaked.  It wasn't leaking that bad and I just got hit by a few drops.  We finally drove out of the rain, I was thankful for that, because I wasn't sure how long it would be before the rain started coming in harder and there wasn't an empty seat for me to move to. Even though I was planning to tell the bus driver about the leak when we got to our next destination I forgot.   Oops.


I did take some pictures along the way.  You can view them on my photo blog just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment